PLANTERASTICS is a group of researchers that are very enthusiastic about microplastic research and they work together at the Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia under the supervision of Dr. Gabriela Kalčikova. They mainly focus on freshwater microplastics, their interaction with floating plants, and the development of a phytoremediation strategy to remove microplastics from freshwaters. However, their work also includes:
- Preparation and characterization of environmentally relevant microplastics.
- The use of advanced analytical methods to characterize and detect microplastics in freshwaters.
- Environmental aging, development of biofilm, and evaluation of microplastics properties.
- Adsorption of pollutants on the microplastic surface and their consequential leaching.
- Interaction of microplastics with freshwater organisms, the main focus is on vascular plants.
- The fate and behavior of microplastics in laboratory constructed wetland.